Monday, January 17, 2011

Injinji toe socks: unboxing


I have no clue how to pronounce injinji. I guess that's fine really, it's not so important. More importantly, I have a big blister in between my big toe and 2nd toe on my right foot. Gore-tex shoes tear it up, making it get bigger and blood filled.

You should probably not look at the next picture if you don't like big blisters full of blood.
 So as you can see, I'd really like to avoid the above blister recurrence in the future.
The general idea of Injini socks is to put fabric between the toes.  This should reduce shear stress, and keep you from getting blisters.

Blisters happen when friction causes the epidermis (top layer), to tear off the underlying dermis. This potential space fills up with fluid, which can cause the rip to keep spreading. Sucks.

So do the socks work? Not sure yet, this is an unboxing... you know... not a full review.

Potential problems?
One big one that I can see already is a weak part in the stitching. The socks have 3 parts that meet at one seem site (see pics), which will most likely tear in the future. The socks themselves don't seem like they're made out of very resilient fabric, even at the performance, regular padding level. I'm a wee bit nervous about the long term life of the socks, but we'll see. Oh, I also don't love the plantar (bottom) of the socks. Seems thin. Like I said, we'll see.



1 comment:

  1. So? How are the injinji's?
    Was thinking of getting some....

    ReplyDelete

Keep it Clean.